Recommendations for Harvesting Down Corn
- Install auto header height on your corn head.
- Flatten the corn head angle.
- If the corn is lodged “with the row”, steepen the corn head angle.
- Synchronize gathering chain speed to ground speed.
- Set the clearance between the tray and cross auger flighting at two inches for down corn.
- Open stripper plates.
- Use more taper from bottom to top on stripper plates.
- Center the stripping tunnel above the stalk roll tunnel.
- Synchronize gathering chain lugs to be opposed from one another.
- Attach metal paddles onto every other gathering chain lug to increase the conveying capacity of the chain.
- Install a corn reel.
- Take off any end risers or tall corn extensions.
- Remove rubber ear savers.
- Add weight to poly divider snouts to help them stay under the canopy.
- Grind the wear shoe tips of the dividers or shim to give more pitch to help them stay under the canopy.
- Use stalk rolls with revolving windows.
- Start harvesting on the downwind side of the field.
- Turn gathering chains around to increase aggressiveness.
October 2015 Earfull Newsletter